Friday, July 16, 2010

Tandoori Chicken Skewers

Day 4-Have I told you how much I hate cooking? Today after work, I had to make four stops at varies places. By the time that I arrived home, not only was I ravenous (I hadn’t eaten enough during the day), but I was exhausted. The last thing I wanted to do was cook, but the first thing I wanted to do was eat! Now! Pronto! I suggested to Anthony that we do a joined effort (well first I called it a conjoined effort, I think I was mixing up the words combined and joined). At first he was having none of it. He asked me what I needed help with, so I pointed to the recipe and said that. Then he proceeds to tell me how to cut the onion for this recipe, which is not what I wanted from him. Remember people I was starving and tired, never a good combination. So I left the room. Next thing I know there he was ready to help cook. Yay!

We have made these Tandoori Chicken Skewers/Kabobs before, but we don’t do it often enough to not use the recipe. Anthony got busy chopping veggies, he decided to make his own rice and not use the box rice I had bought (yes I bought Rice-a-Roni, what are you going to do about it?!) We cooked up basmati rice with carrots and peas. This takes awhile about 30 minutes, so prepare for that. I personally think basmati rice tastes much better then that regular old white rice.

Meanwhile we (okay Anthony) had chopped up the onion and chicken. The chicken has to sit in a marinade of yogurt, lemon juice, cilantro (we used parsley, Anthony doesn’t eat cilantro. Crazy, I know!), salt, pepper, garlic and tandoori paste (you can find this in the ethnic foods section of your grocery store) for 15 minutes. Tandoori is mild (even though it has cayenne pepper in it) and has a smoky taste to it. If you are just introducing yourself to Indian flavors, it’s a good choice to start with tandoori. Here’s the kind I used: Tandoori Paste

Next, we built the skewers: onion, chicken, onion, chicken, etc. We made nine skewers from three boneless chicken breasts. The recipe calls for the chicken skewers to be broiled, but this is the summer and there is nothing better then using the grill. Well there is nothing better then Anthony using the grill; I’m clueless when it comes to grilling. If you are going to grill the skewers, give yourself more time. It takes longer to grill them, then to broil them. Once your chicken is just about done throw your naan bread (you can buy this at Wegmans, I’m not sure about other grocery stores) onto the grill for a little bit.

Final Product:

I don’t even have to tell you I would make this again. I love this recipe every time we have it. It’s so delicious. Indian food is one of my favorites; I can’t get enough of it!

Totals: 20 minutes prep time, 30 minutes cooking time, 1 pot, 1 grill, 1 bowl.

This recipe is from: Cook’s Encyclopedia of 30 Minute Cooking

If you want this or any other recipe that I’ve made, please contact me. I’m still trying to figure out if there is a place on the blog where I can include a catalog of the recipes. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I think it’s too much to put the recipe into the actual post.

1 comment: