Monday, July 26, 2010

Sour Cream Curry Shrimp and Coconut Rice

Day 6-Six? That’s it?! I guess that’s what happens when you take a week off of cooking for vacation. I just felt like I was further through this torture. I’m wondering if I should continue to keep track in days or if that will just depress me even more. First day of cooking back from vacation, was not something I was ready for. Have you ever had one of those days when you just think every item in the kitchen is stupid? The refrigerator door was stupid, the butter holder, the butter, the counter, the pot, the onion, the green pepper. I wanted to smack all of those items. Not that it would do much good as they are all items without feelings. Sigh.

I was actually really excited to eat what I was cooking. I got a brand new cookbook for my birthday, Seafood Secrets Cookbook.


I couldn’t wait to use it! If you haven’t already guessed, I’d rather eat seafood then almost anything else in the world. I found a recipe for Sour Cream Curried Shrimp. This recipe would combine my love of Indian flavors with seafood. YES! Things were going okay at first. I decided to make coconut milk rice with the shrimp. So I started that. My version was using Basmati rice, 2 cups of water, 2/3 cup of coconut milk, and some salt. Bring it all to a boil, add the rice (1 ½ cups) and cook. Simple. The coconut milk gives the rice a little sweetness, which goes well with curry dishes. I chopped the onion, got the shrimp ready (already deveined again, got to love Wegmans!). Then things went bad. I had to take 3 tablespoons of butter and melt it in a sauce pan. Apparently even this is too hard for me. I didn’t realize you could burn butter. But I did. All 3 tablespoons of it! Yuck! The smell was bad. I had to take it out of the pan, clean out the pan, and start over. So by now I’m in a super mood! (Yes, that is sarcasm.) This is when I started thinking everything in the kitchen was so stupid!


Got the butter started again and turned it down really low, which means it took forever to melt. Then I was ready to start cooking all of this stupid food. I added the onions and garlic to the pan; that’s when I realized I forgot the stupid green pepper. UGH! So at this point I’m rushing to chop half the pepper up and get it in the stupid pot. Anthony comes in and once again decides that I am going to lose a finger. I told him I understand how to chop now, but there is no time for thinking at this point!! I’ve got to get this pepper in the pan!! That was really the only two incidents I had this time around. Not bad. Of course I’ve already had experience cooking shrimp once during this blog already. I know how to cook shrimp, like I know all the lines in My Girl. (I recently watched My Girl again on television one day and realized I still remembered all the lines in it. Sad.)

You add the sour cream (I used light), curry, ground ginger, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and it becomes a creamy delight. Yum! Next you put the shrimp in and let them cook in all that creamy goodness. Spectacular! I heated up some pita bread and called it a meal.

Final Product:

I will be cooking this again. Anthony really liked it too. I’m so excited I found a new recipe that can become a regular addition to my weekly menus. Thanks Linda and Sheldon for the cookbook! I think coconut rice was a great paring with the curried shrimp. The sweetness really does help make the dish. Yum! Please Sir, may I have some more!

Totals: 10 minutes prep, 20 minutes cooking, 2 pots

1 comment: