Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Getting Bored

I've been super busy and haven't had a lot of time for blogging. I also didn't bother cooking Friday or Saturday this weekend. We went out for Japanese food at Blue Ocean. It opened last year near where we live and it was so exciting for us since there are no other sushi places where we live. And we love our sushi! On this occasion we decided to try something different and both ordered Bento boxes instead. I got mine with Tempura Shrimp and Teriyaki Beef and Anthony got Tempura Shrimp and Chicken Teriyaki. The bento boxes come with miso soup, salad, a California Roll, tempura veggies, and sticky rice. These were actually really good. I'm glad we branched out and tried something more then sushi. I'm also grateful that our town finally has some ethnic food other then Italian. We do have a very good Chinese take out place, I would say it's one of the best I've ever had, New Fong Kitchen. Anthony suggested I do some research on the demographics of our town and write an editorial for the local paper about why we need more diversity in our food choices around our town. I would die for some good Thai, Indian, and Mexican!

I made a few dinners this week. The first was Caramelized Chile Shrimp from Good Housekeeping magazine. I was very hopeful and that should have been a sign. It really wasn't very good. The sauce burned a bit and it was sticky. I hate sticky! The noodles were cold (intentionally) and I found that odd. Also I substituted parsley for cilantro and ended up over doing the parsley. That was basically all you could taste on the shrimp. Boo to this meal. I will not be trying this recipe again, there wasn't anything super appealing about it.

Final Product:

The other meal I cooked was Sausage-Cauliflower Spaghetti, from Food Network magazine. Thank goodness I got that great soup in the acorn squash recipe from this issue or this issue would have been trash. Pasta and I just don't mix and I should realize that and move on. It's not that this dish tasted bad, it was fine. Possibly a little bit bland, but it just wasn't great! There was nothing about it that made it memorable and it seemed like a waste of time.

Final Product:
Maybe I'm becoming bitter I hate cooking Kim again. I'm just not impressed with this whole cooking process. It's dull and boring and the end result hasn't blown my mind this last week. I need something to awaken my taste buds, until then I'll continue to be bitter and bored.

Next up Bean Burritos, I need to go back to making stuff that I can handle and that I won't hate to eat. Does anyone have any recipes that might get me back into the swing of things? If you do comment below!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, Kim, I love reading your blog. I do not have the exact amounts and times, etc etc (I will tomorrow or thursday, have to get it from my dad) but there's a dish that's pretty much my fave. Whenever I go home, my dad makes broiled scallops (the huge ones) and on the side is cous cous (I think lemon/herb, but I'll check) and fresh baby spinach, cooked, with garlic and then he lemon zests a bit over the cous cous and spinach. It's amazing. I'll email him and see if he can send anything that'll help. Also, I'm glad you found the Bento Box!!! I love sushi too and eat it often, but every now and then I like to get a bento box. Thing is, since I moved here in december, I cannot find a place that has it on the menu!!! =o( Anyway...good luck and I hope you don't get too bored, you've made a lot of good stuff and I love reading your blog!!! ~Pattey Bertolino Taylor ("Pepper")

    ReplyDelete