Monday, October 4, 2010

Coriander Crusted Sea Bass and Asparagus over Sweet Potato Puree

I wonder at times where people come up with some of the recipes they create. When I picked out the recipe for our meal Saturday night, I just wanted it to be healthy. So I decided to get a recipe out of Cooking the Real Age Way. This is the second recipe I’ve made from this cookbook. It doesn’t seem to be a great book. The meals are a little weird. I didn’t really think about what I picked out until after I cooked it and Anthony said, “None of this stuff goes together!” I have a feeling that one of the doctors Dr. John La Puma came up with these recipes. He has taught nutrition and cooking classes for people and has a book called Chef MD. Maybe the doctors should leave the cooking to the chefs or at least the creating of recipes.

I made Coriander Crusted Sea Bass and Asparagus over Sweet Potato Puree, but I used haddock instead of sea bass. There was no way I was spending $21.99 a pound for sea bass and I think haddock is just as tasty. I’ve never paid attention to coriander before and didn’t really know what it was. I was also scared to try a whole seed of it, because I didn’t know if I would like the taste. Sometimes I like a flavor when it’s mixed with other things and not own it’s on. Coriander seemed to me like something I wouldn’t like on it’s own and I didn’t want to ruin the moment. I was cooking basically without complaint and feeling good in the kitchen. Once I had everything prepped and the sweet potatoes were cooking it was time for the fish.

I am not good at cooking fish. It always falls apart on me. Fish is healthy and I love it so I will continue to cook it even if I’m ruining it! I sprinkled some of each seasoning on the fish: the ground coriander, salt, cayenne pepper. Then I pressed some coriander seeds into the fish as the recipe suggests. The fish of course immediately stuck to the skillet and started falling apart. Then with Anthony’s help I got the fish flipped over without it breaking too much and threw it in the oven. The asparagus was already in the oven. You just put it in a baking pan and sprinkle it with olive oil. Everything was timed pretty perfectly. I mashed the sweet potatoes and I was done.

Final Product:

My Thoughts? Just look at the plate above. Doesn’t it all seem a little awkward and odd? There was way too much coriander on the fish. I’m not sure if that was my fault or the recipe. It turns out I don’t really care for coriander and neither does Anthony. Or at least not that much coriander! So we tried eating around it on the fish and didn’t bother eating the pieces covered in it. We ate the potatoes and asparagus which were both good. The meal was just too strange to have again. Each would have been individually good (without the coriander), but they really don’t mesh well together.

Next up is Chicken, Gravy, and Dumpling Casserole. I didn’t cook as much as I thought I would last week. This week I will be cooking more often. So stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. This was not a favorite. I've never had a desire to munch on bits of whole coriander, and now I know why.

    Also, this is probably the least cohesive dish I've seen in a long time -- sweet potatoes, over-spiced fish, and asparagus? Really? No thanks.

    Otherwise, it was all cooked nicely.

    ReplyDelete