Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Chicken, Biscuits, and Gravy Casserole

I stopped numbering my days. It didn’t really make sense anymore since I’ve been cooking some days and then have 3-4 days of no cooking. I’m up to 47 posts though which I found pretty impressive. I’ve been eating out and not cooking this last week. We went to Jasmine’s Asian Fusion one night. They have food from various Asian area’s of the world. I had a $25 gift certificate from Restaurants .com. I love this site. It’s really good when you can get the gift certificates at 80-90% off. I bought 3 more the other day because they we 90% off. Give it a try. It’s pretty cool.

We had the fresh spring rolls to start off with. Unfortunately in the description it didn’t say that they had cilantro in them. Anthony ate one and discovered that and I had to eat the rest. Luckily it also came with a carrot salad, so he ate that. Then we both ordered the Red Curry Chicken with Jasmine and Sticky Rice. Very good and pretty darn spicy! We also ordered the Black Rice Pudding. It had a good texture and a delicious coconut flavor. I love coconut! You should definitely give Restaurants.com a try, it’s made me try different places and most of them we have really liked.

I wanted to make something easy Sunday after the Hilton Apple Festival. We had some amazing apple crisp, apple sausage and hot mulled apple cider at the festival.for lunch and then had pumpkin custard from Abbot’s for dessert. Yum. It was a brisk Fall day so I thought a casserole would be perfect for dinner. So Chicken, Biscuits ‘n’ Gravy Casserole was on the menu. This is from a really old issue of Everyday with Rachel Ray. It’s a very simple recipe. The thing I love about this is you use a rotisserie chicken. I love rotisserie chickens from Wegmans. They make the car smell so amazing! I get hungry just being around rotisserie chicken.

You pull the chicken off the bone and shred it either with a knife or your fingers. In a skillet you melt some butter and add mushrooms, onion, and celery. Cook until the mushrooms are browned; lower the heat, add flour and cook for a minute.

Then stir in the chicken broth, bring it to a simmer and cook until thickened. Next you add some milk and simmer for another minute. You remove it from the heat and finish off the gravy with some lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Pour the gravy over the chicken, which should be in a butter greased casserole dish.

Then you make some garlic butter for the biscuits. Your biscuits consist of baking mix (Bisquick), milk, and shredded cheddar cheese. Drop tablespoonfuls of the mixture on top of the casserole and brush them with the garlic butter. Put the casserole in the oven at 425 degrees and bake for about 25 minutes. You can brush the biscuits with the garlic butter again about halfway though.

Final Product:

Anthony swears this came out differently than it has in the past. He thought it should have been made in a small dish with less biscuits. I think he is thinking of a different casserole. It tasted good regardless and it’s one of those quick and easy meals that everyone likes to make! Plus it’s comfort food, which makes everyone happy and comforted.

Next up is Salmon Cakes and boy was I in for a shock!!

No comments:

Post a Comment