Friday, August 6, 2010

Reality Television

Last night I had a dream about my upcoming Young Adult novel (haha, upcoming who am I kidding) and how popular it became and how the movie deals were coming in. I was sitting on a couch with all of The View chicks talking about how I went from a nobody to a somebody, and to think it all started with a little cooking blog. Now that I mentioned a possible book I’d like to get away from that topic and get back to reality.

Reality television shows to be precise. I’ve loved reality television ever since I saw the first episode of Real World back in 1992. Oh the drama. I couldn’t wait to be 18 and old enough to possibly get a spot on Real World. The year of my 18th birthday was 1997 so I could possibly have been on the Boston or Hawaii seasons neither of which is on my list of top seasons ever and so luckily after awhile the thrill wore off. I went to college and forgot about The Real World. Then Survivor aired, in 2000. Ah Survivor, I knew with almost certainty that I could Outwit, Outplay, and Outlast all of the other contestants, from the comfort of my living room. No way was I ever actually going to apply to be on that show! Then there was Fear Factor in 2001 (another show I knew I could beat everyone at) and The Amazing Race, although I have not been watching that since it aired for the first time in 2001. I really would love to do The Amazing Race, except from all of the excitement I would probably need a bathroom every few minutes and would make my team lose. I’d be known as The Girl with the Small Bladder, no thanks. I’ve also regularly watched American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, and America’s Got Talent, none of which I could be on some day.

Lately there is only one kind of reality show that I really love and those are the cooking reality shows. I watch most of them, from Cake Boss to Top Chef. I obviously could never be on any of the ones where you have to be a chef, but what about a show where you don’t have to be a chef? Could I be on one of those? I’ve always wanted to be on television. For awhile I really thought that I wanted to be a news anchor. Then I worked at a news station as an intern and realized I really didn’t want to do that. Being an actress was also not my cup of tea, but when reality shows became this worldwide phenomenon, I thought this might be what I’m destined for. Now I’ve never actually applied to be on anything. Typically what happens is I start doubting myself and decide it’s not worth it for me to put my energy into something like that.

Recently someone mentioned two cooking shows that are casting now, The Next Food Network Star and Worst Cooks in America. I would not be able to handle the pressure that goes along with The Next Food Network Star. I’ve seen WC in A briefly when it was on last season and it just didn’t strike me as being a title that I want. Anthony firmly believes that I should have applied for WC in A. It most likely is the only cooking reality show that I could possibly get on. I can’t really cook and every other show you really need to know what you are doing. So now I have to decide if I will try for the next season (if there is one) or move onto something else, like a makeover show! I’d love free clothes and a new hair do! J What does everyone think about me trying to get onto a reality show? Good idea, bad idea? What shows should I apply to become a contestant on?

Here are my thoughts on this week in cooking reality television, August 1-6. Spoiler Alert: I was very disappointed with The Next Food Network Star on Sunday night. Kicking off Brad was not the right call. Brad Sorenson was one of my favorites, I’m not sure if it’s just because he is cute or if it’s because he can cook. Anyway it is definitely time for Aria Kagan to go home. I’ve had enough of her annoying voice and her point of view is nothing new. She better go home next! Cake Boss: Typical episode, the mechanical bull cake was pretty cool, but the barber shop looked not so good to me. The outcome for the final two on Hell’s Kitchen was predictable, Holly vs. Jay. Since I’m a firm believer in girls kicking guys’ butts, I hope she wins next week! Go Holly! I’m so jealous of whoever wins, I love London! MasterChef is still boring me. Next week the real competition starts, with the contestants having to use some basic cooking skills, it should get better! There is a possibility that I could try out for MasterChef, if I get a little better with my cooking skills. I have not watched Top Chef yet, so nobody tell me what happened!! I’m watching it tonight!

As you can probably see I didn’t cook last night and just wanted to blog about something. Something is sometimes better then nothing, I’m not so sure in this case. This only showed everyone that I’m a bit of a television addict and that I’m desperate for my 15 minutes of fame. I’ll be back with a new recipe on Sunday!

Food/Cooking Quote of the Day:

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity. ~Voltaire

No comments:

Post a Comment