Saturday, August 14, 2010

Poaching Eggs and Frozen Meals

Wednesday night's meal, sliders with chipotle mayo and potato wedges while good, does not rate its own blog post. Besides, Anthony made the burgers and we didn’t take pictures of anything except for the chipotle mayo. Sliders are cool and trendy so I like them. Anthony doesn’t seem to really see the point of them, which I can understand. You can have 3 little burgers or one regular sized burger, there really isn’t much of a difference. I just think sliders are cute and fun. They also remind me of White Castle, which is my all time favorite! I’ll even eat the frozen White Castle burgers, since there are no White Castles in Rochester.

I’m very excited for my upcoming poaching an egg challenge. I’ve never seen it done and have never even thought about trying it before, so this should be interesting. I have some older eggs in the fridge which I’m going to use to practice on and then I’m going to buy new eggs and hopefully have a perfect edible one to offer to Anthony. I might be excited about making a poached egg, but I can not eat one. The pain that I would experience after eating an egg would ruin the whole event for me.

Another item I would like to discuss is frozen meals such as Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine, and Healthy Choice. Typically if there are no leftovers or something else more exciting to eat, I will bring a frozen meal for lunch. I can’t even remember the last time I’ve actually eaten a frozen meal and liked it. The one I had today Lean Cuisine Spa Cuisine Chicken Mediterranean which is grilled white meat chicken, zucchini, tomatoes, and whole wheat pasta in a tomato sauce. I should have known better then to buy this when I saw whole wheat pasta. The pasta was blah at best, the sauce was watery, I don’t even remember seeing zucchini in there. Looking at the reviews on the website, 4 stars, I’m shocked. Someone even mentioned you can’t tell it’s whole wheat pasta! What? It tasted like doughy cardboard; that is NOT how pasta should taste. They also mentioned that it had so much flavor. Just looking at it I knew it didn’t and doused it with Frank’s Red Hot. The meal was so hopeless the hot sauce didn’t make a dent in its lack of taste. Have these people lost their taste buds? I could not even finish eating it. Yuck!

Why can’t these frozen meals taste better? I just don’t understand why they are never good. Typically the only way I can eat them is with a ton of hot sauce. Eating lunch is a pain in the butt. I need to stay clear of these frozen meals, does anyone have any tasty, healthy, cheap ideas for lunches? Oh and remember that these need to be easy and quick to make too. I’m already cooking dinner daily and that’s about all the intense cooking I can take in a day. Please comment below. I need all the ideas I can get!

2 comments:

  1. When you cook pasta and other meals that freeze well just make extra, freeze them in small containers and then you have lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Organic Bistro frozen dinners! They are low in calories and fat and made with organic vegetables - a more "premium" frozen entree - very tasty. Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete