Monday, August 16, 2010

Curry Pork Sausage Couscous

Day 16-Okay I will admit that this is a cheat day. We are leaving for vacation on Wednesday and I didn’t want to go shopping or make too much of a mess. So I elected to cook a recipe that I’ve cooked for dinner before. I have never used it for the blog though. That’s why I think it’s okay.

Reality tv update-Spoiler Alert: Top Chef Restaurant Wars was disappointing for me. I was really pulling for the blue team (Kenny, Kevin, Kelly, Amanda) and they lost. Not only did they lose, but Kenny was told to pack his knives and leave. I thought he was going to be there well until the end. I’m still rooting for Kevin or maybe one of the girls. I hope Angelo doesn’t win. He has just bothered me from the start. And what the heck is up with Alex, he needs to go pronto. The Next Food Network Star winner is Aarti. I can’t say I’m shocked. I liked Aarti from the beginning. Partly because she cooks Indian food and as we all know that’s one of my favorite things. I was actually sad that Tom didn’t win, because I really did like his pilot. His was the most entertaining, but I guess Food Network is Aarti’s destiny (I think she mentioned something like that last night).

Last night’s meal was Curry Pork Sausage Couscous, yup more curry! Love it! Last week I read a blog and they posted the health benefits of Turmeric, so I say eat as much as you can! It’s super for you! I always tweak this recipe a little. I used a box of Near East Mediterranean Curry Couscous instead of regular couscous. I love a lot of flavor! Instead of pork sausage I used some poultry sausage I had in the freezer. It really doesn’t matter what sausage or couscous your use, but if you want more flavor use the Mediterranean kind. I put the water on to boil for the couscous with some olive oil and the spice packet, then once the water boiled I stirred in the couscous. Then I covered it and took it off the heat.

Once the couscous is sitting, (although to be honest I started this part while the water was boiling) you put the rest of the ingredients (except parsley) in a skillet and cook them up. So that’s the sausage (I de-cased it and chopped it into pieces), onion, garlic, pistachios, curry powder (I added more then the recipe calls for), and salt. You cook all of that together until the sausage is no longer pink. Then you can either put the couscous in the skillet or dump the sausage mixture into the pan that you cooked the couscous in (that’s what I do). Put that over a medium heat until warm. Viola you are finished! Easy! It was also a good thing that Anthony actually wanted this for dinner, and was pleasantly surprised that I had made it.

By the way, I did try chopping the onion like I had learned and it once again didn’t work out. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. How hard can this be?!

Final Product:

My thoughts, it’s easy and yummy. Plus you get the health benefits of the curry, so eat up!

Totals: 5 minutes prep, 15 minutes cooking time, 1 pot, 1 skillet

Well folks it’s been real, but I am officially on vacation from my blog after this post. I will just be cooking hot dogs and beans tonight and a friend of ours is cooking for us Tuesday. Needless to say I will not be cooking Wednesday-Sunday and will back with a new post on Monday. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment