Thursday, August 5, 2010

Mexican Chicken

Day 12-Maybe I need to cook more often so that this number is a bit higher! I mean honestly it seems like I started this blog forever ago and somewhere over the rainbow. 12?! This is actually my 20th post and that thought alone makes me feel happy. I didn’t even know if I would make it this long. Nobody told me how daunting of a task it would be to write a daily blog. I feel like I should just start writing a book while I’m at it. I mean what harm could one more crazy, ambitious challenge cause? I need to change the subject before I really start believing that is a good idea. It's not. I’m not. Ending the topic now.

Onto the more important topic, cooking. I couldn’t have picked an easier recipe then I did last night, Mexican Chicken. To be honest I have no idea where this recipe came from or if it’s even called Mexican Chicken. I hand wrote it into a recipe book and there are no notes on where it’s from. Anyway folks this one is super easy. It definitely isn’t Mexican enough for my tastes, but it’s simple and some nights that’s really all you are looking for.

I pounded out and trimmed 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Put them in a baking dish and seasoned them with Adobo (the recipe didn’t call for this, but I firmly believe in seasoning proteins (the meat part of the meal). I love calling them proteins, I feel like I’m a chef!) and pricked them with a fork. Next I mixed a jar of salsa, a can of black beans, and 2 cups of corn together. I took that mixture and spread it on top of the chicken breasts. Then I put the oven on 400 degrees for 35 minutes. I chose to have Yellow Rice with this meal, so I cooked that up too. I didn’t cook it from scratch. My night needed to be relaxed. What can I say, I love Goya! While this all is cooking, I tore some pieces of Romaine lettuce and crumbled up some blue corn chips.

The recipe then calls for you to plate the chicken on top of the Romaine and crumbed blue corn chips. I decided to just plate in on top of the lettuce. I then put the crumbled blue corn chips and shredded Mexican cheese blend on top. Sour cream is a good condiment to add to this dish, so we had that on the side.

Final Product:

My thoughts for this one, it’s super easy people. Nothing rocket scientistish about it. The chicken came out pretty moist and the flavors were good. If you need a quick meal it works. I do not in any way believe that the Romaine was needed. It was pretty useless actually, so I would just skip that. Dinner in 35 minutes and you barely have to do anything other then putting it into the oven. Hallelujah!

Totals: 5 minutes prep, 35 minutes cooking time, 1 bowl, 1 baking dish

Cooking Quote of the Day:

There is no sincerer love than the love of food. --George Bernard Shaw

2 comments:

  1. I'm really impressed with all the new dishes you find and try! We tend to get stuck in routines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love trying new things and changing it up a bit. There are still things that I make a lot (well before I started the blog)!

    ReplyDelete