Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lost Mojo

I cooked dinner last night and it was horrible.  Nothing was hard, I had no problem prepping the food.  It was the outcome.  I'm a big Emeril fan so when I saw a recipe for Braised Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms it sounded like something I might really enjoy.  It also has great reviews. The outcome for me was greasy sauce, undercooked chicken (that could have just been my paranoia), and the white rice I made was terrible.


Final Product:


Even if my rice had been good, I think the sauce is just way too greasy.  Anytime you cook chicken with skin on and bone in, in a sauce that already has oil and butter in it, you are going to get a mess.  I was so excited to try this recipe too.  Chicken thighs are much cheaper than chicken breasts and I need a new thigh recipe.  Sadly this one will not be sticking around.  You can try the recipe if you dare, maybe you will have a better outcome than I did and you can tell me where I went wrong.  I hate to even admit what happened to the leftovers...they were trashed.  Neither of us finished our dinner and neither of us would have wanted the leftovers.  So sad. 


The biggest problem I'm having is cooking rice.  I can cook basmati rice pretty well. Put white rice in front of me and I am sure to ruin it.  What am I doing wrong?! Does anyone have any tips?  The rice last night ended up mushy and crunchy!  How is that even possible?!  We will either only be eating basmati rice or boxed rice until I can figure out how to cook rice.


Oh and somehow I managed to move our chicken spoon rest into the flame that was cooking the rice and it cracked and broke.  I love that chicken spoon rest and now it's damaged goods.  I forgot to take a picture.  I'll take one and post it tonight.  I almost cried.  Only I could manage to break a spoon rest this way. 

1 comment:

  1. Dina directed me to check out your blog ... and I wanted to comment on the rice. We have a rice cooker (a steamer, in general) and it consistently turns out perfect rice of all kinds - and it's great for veggies and other things. it's also very hands-off. it does take up space, though. but worth considering if you can't figure out another solution!

    ReplyDelete