Monday, April 18, 2011

Destined For Failure...

Are some recipes just destined for failure?  I believe they are.  Seems to me that if you were to write a recipe you would test it out numerous times to make sure everything you were stating was fact.  I would hate to be the cause of someones meltdown in the kitchen.  There are times though when I completly follow a recipe and the meal still turns out terribly.  That is a recipe destined for failure.  Come on recipe writers test these recipes out.  Pretend like you can't really cook and need extra special help to do it.  Make these recipes fool proof.  Yes, I know.  Nothing is fool proof in my hands, but honestly this last one wasn't my fault.

The recipe:  Soba Noodles with Shrimp, Snow Peas,and Carrots.  Healthy, easy, tasty.  Those are the three words that come to mind when I see the title of this recipe and this is food that I really want to eat and enjoy.  Everything was going smoothly.  Prepping this dish was easy enough, though I did lose a little piece of skin from my thumb while grating the ginger.  I survived that though and was still in a good mood.  In fact this night was the most calm and collected night I've had in the kitchen in a long while.  I followed all the instructions and WHAM.  Soba is way over cooked!  Honestly now that I think about it I should have paid more attention to the length of time they have you cook the noodles (7 minutes).  Once before I made soba and noticed it cooked pretty fast then too.  Even the shrimp were a little chewy, that was my fault since I only had already cooked shrimp on hand. 

Final Product:


The sauce was yummy (it has peanut butter in it so that's a given) and I would make this again, but would definitly not cook the noodles for very long.  Whoever wrote this recipe must have had some crazy soba, because I had the normal stuff and it didn't need 7 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment