Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Joy of... Not Cooking

I’m not sure what I was doing when I last left you all. The one thing I do remember is I wasn’t very happy about cooking. Nothing has changed. While in the kitchen I’m still the most irritable and ill tempered monster lately. Someone please tell me what’s happening to me. In a time not that long ago, I was really enjoying cooking. Now you pretty much have to drag me into the kitchen and hold a gun to my head in order to get me to cook. I really haven’t been doing much cooking since I last left you, which is why I left you.

I made American BBQ Tacos last week. The prep of cutting all the veggies took forever and really got old fast. Then my re-fried beans turned out to be not very good. So that really made me mad. The tacos tasted fine. I could see making them again, plus they a vegetarian which means they are good for you (in my world). At least there was that. Here’s the final product:

This weekend Anthony picked our green tomatoes (we only got two red ones this year) and decided to pickle them like he did last year. Pickled green tomatoes are very nice. I love them! Garlic, dill, onion…yum! Probably in a month or two we will try them. I remember what they tasted like last year and it’s making my mouth water. Also I just love the crunch you get from pickled products.


That same day Anthony made Fried Green Tomato BLT’s. I could eat one of those every day, they were scrumptious. I don’t think he has an actual recipe, but I recently saw this one in Everyday with Rachael Ray. That’s where we got the idea. Green tomatoes might just be better then red tomatoes in my humble opinion. Pickled and fried wins hand down over limp and thrown in a salad. The only good thing about tomatoes, besides ketchup is tomato sauce. Sometimes I can even do without that and will settle for a pesto. So really green tomatoes are better because I said they are.


Last night I worked up some energy and nerve. I entered the kitchen. I should have just turned around and walked right out. My timing was horrendous. I thought I was going to be able to start a Black Bean Lasagna at 6:50 and have it ready and on the table by 8:00. Not! Just call me a loser. It took so long, and I missed the step where the sauce had to simmer for 15 minutes when originally looking at the recipe. So I miscalculated. 7:30 rolled around and Anthony came home. First thing out of my mouth was order us some take out, because this baby (still not in the oven!) will not be done until around 9:00! He did order us white pizza and wings from Mark’s. (Ugh not my favorite, the cheese was burnt! Why can’t Rochester just get it right already?! It’s pizza not Risotto!) The lasagna was finally finished sometime after 8:30. Now it’s waiting for me to reheat it tonight. The good news is I don’t have to cook! No pictures of it yet, but I’ll snap one tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment