Friday, August 5, 2011

The Sloppy Joe's from my Youth

I'm not so sure these ARE the sloppy joe's I remember my mom making for me when I was a child.  A while back I had asked my mom if she had or remembered the recipe for the sloppy joe's she made.  She told me she remembered that she got the recipe from a bottle of A1 sauce.  So I went to the A1 sauce website and found their recipe for Clean and Simple Sloppy Joe's.  This has to be the recipe, because I can't imagine that A1 has made up new recipes for sloppy joe's. 

This was simple and fast which made me a very happy camper.  First you brown the ground beef, then drain the excess fat.


Next add one chopped onion and one chopped green bell pepper, saute until softened. 

Once that's done you add 3/4 cups of A1 sauce, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 1/4 cup of beef stock, and chili powder cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes. 

Lots of steam in this picture!

Then it's done.  I heated up some frozen tater tots and brussels sprouts for side dishes. 

Final Product:

My thoughts:  Oh childhood how I miss you.  Lately I have been reminiscing about the food of my youth.  This whole meal took me right back to being a kid.  So simple and yet still delicious.  This sloppy joe might have been the best one that I have made.  Anthony really enjoyed it too.  I give this recipe an A and encourage you to try it on a night when you don't feel like slaving away in the kitchen.  The flavors were really good. The steak sauce made it a little sweet, but it was still savory enough that it didn't bother me.  I have my doubts as to whether or not this recipe is exactly what my mom used, but it's possible I just can't remember the flavor as well as I thought I could. 

Once in awhile it's nice to have a meal that is super fast and easy to make.  And it's great if it can take you back to a happy time in your life.  I've been eating PB&J and grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch with Frito's on the side and that brought me back too.  Although it makes me realise I really didn't eat very healthy when I was little, thank goodness for a fast metabolism and lots of playing outside!

Next Up:  More Vegetable Less Egg Fritatta-my first attempt at making a Mark Bittman recipe.  I'm very excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment